SAM recognizes the need for sustainable development.We are acutely aware of our responsibility for the environment and are committed to maintaining sound environmental practices in all our business activities. At headline level, the policy is to reduce, reuse and recycle wherever possible.
We carry out regular reviews of our manufacturing processes to ensure that we comply with or exceed all legal and good practice requirements, as well as actively researching and adopting new means to further reduce environmental impact.
- The transition to lead-free soldering well in advance of legislation
- Switching to ‘no-clean’ PCB assembly
- Recycling of all possible manufacturing waste products such as spent solder
- Replacing solvent with water-based cleaning systems
- Recycling of all electronic and electrical waste in accordance with WEEE legislation
- Using recycled and recyclable packaging for shipping products
Product design and development
Unlike many IT-based systems which typically have an in-service life of two years or less before they are redundant, SAM systems have a useful service life of seven years or more with many options to upgrade over time to keep performance at the leading edge. This policy makes a major contribution in reducing the amount of waste generated compared to shorter lifecycle products.
SAM systems are also designed to deliver the most efficient performance per unit of energy consumed and amount of physical equipment required. For example, our server-based production systems will support more simultaneous users than other equivalent hardware, reducing the environmental footprint.
Sales, marketing and support
SAM strives to minimize its environmental impact by a number of measures to reduce the need for travel and shipping.
- Employing local people to satisfy our overseas markets and customers
- Use of technology to minimize travel
- Situating demonstration facilities locally to minimize air-freighting
- Operating a network of local spares facilities to rationalize air-freighting
- Using lightweight, low power, reusable exhibition stands to minimize environmental impact
SAM has fostered a culture of responsible energy usage among all its staff for many years. Indeed, the company actively encourages staff to submit ideas for more efficient, environmentally aware operation.
A positive ‘switch-off’ policy ensures that no computers, lighting, air-conditioning or other systems are run overnight, at weekends etc. Grid light switching ensures that only appropriate lighting is switched on when required.
SAM actively encourages responsible waste management. Recycling programs include paper waste, plastics, printing consumables, computer and electronic equipment. We also partner with outside organizations to responsibly dispose of items such as batteries and fluorescent lamps.